* Finalist for the Edgar® Award in Best Fact Crime
* New York Post, “The Post’s Favorite Books of 2015”
* Suspense Magazine’s “Best True Crime Books of 2015”
* Gold Medal Winner for Foreword Reviews’ INDIEFAB Book of the Year in True Crime
* Publishers Weekly, Big Indie Book of Fall 2015
The rise and fall of the nation’s largest painkiller distribution ring, “American Pain,” a mega-clinic that served as a prototype for the rest. Pill mills have spread across the country, but this is where it started. It’s a gritty story of lax regulations, conflicts of interest, and good ol’ fashioned greed. With an eccentric cast of real characters, bizarre events, and a setting that runs from Kentucky to Florida, it's also a stranger-than-fiction Southern Gothic tale.